'ADELAIDE'

On 18th September, 1839 Charles & Naomi HUNT and four children, set sail from London on the ship Adelaide with the NZ Company, which
was set up to assist migrants to NZ.  Also on board were
William LUXFORD [aged 39], occupation butcher and farmer, wife Elizabeth
Jasper Luxford
, née NICHOLAS [aged 39], boys: William Nicholas [aged 15], George Henry [aged 14], Charles Edward [aged 13], Jabez
Thomas [aged 5], girls: Fanny Sarah [aged 11], Elizabeth Habgood [aged 9]. The family originally came from town of Eastbourne, Sussex,
England. They settled in Wellington where they became butchers and merchants and eventually run-holders in the Wairarapa and Manawatu.
Nearly all Luxfords in New Zealand are descended from this original emigrant family.

The Adelaide brought out 176 migrants - arriving in Port Nicolson [Wellington]on 7th March 1840 being 171 days out from London. She was
the largest of the first five ships that brought the emmigrants to early Wellington. This included some of the high office bearers of the New
Zealand Company. Although she left London on the 18th September, the same day as the Aurora, she didn't get away from Falmouth until the
30th. Teneriffe was reached on the 14th October and she spent a couple of days at Santa Cruz where the passengers were allowed on shore.
The Equator was crossed on the 14th November and on December 20th Adelaide reached Capetown where she remained until News Year's
day. After resuming their journey, New Zealand was sighted on 1st March, called at Port Hardy and was instructed to carry on to Port
Nicholson. The Adelaide dropped anchor at Petone on the 7th March in a storm of thunder, lightening and rain, 171 days out from London.
Not long afterwards, however, it was decided that a better site for the new township would be Thorndon on the other side of the harbour and
the Adelaide together with all her passengers were removed there.

                                                                                       'CITY OF AUCKLAND'                                     

James and William Thompson
came to New Zealand on the “City of Auckland”. Arriving at Auckland in September 1872 under the command
of Captain William Ashby, after a good passage of 95 days.  Besides bringing 550 tons of general cargo, she also had on board 5 saloon, 14
third class passengers and 242 Government Immigrants.

The City of Auckland was especially built for the London-Auckland trade. She was a composite vessel, having iron framing, sheathed with 5½
inch teak, copper fastened throughout. She was specially finely fitted up. On a scroll at the break of the poop were carved the lines by
Campbell: Her path is o'er the mountain wave, Her home is on the deep.

During the voyage there was a death by drowning of Mr Milne the chief officer of the ship. He was looking over the ship side examining the
mizzen rigging when his foot slipped and fell into the sea. Although the life-boat was lowered immediately, brought on board, and not
withstanding all the medical skill could do he never recovered. He was 38 years, from Scotland, he left a widow and three children.  A
collection of £10.5.0 was given to her from the passengers.

The 'Bolton's Captain, William Ashby  was the most popular commanders up till 1872 and bad made the most voyages from London to
Auckland and claimed to have carried more passengers than any other commander. No passages could be called records. He considered his
passengers first and at the same time never exceeded the 100 days from London to Auckland, the average being 92 days.

                                                                                          'BLAIRGOWRIE'                                                                     

After the death of her Husband, Mary Anne Thompson, her Son Alfred Thompson and daughter Mary Annie Thompson emmigrated in
1875 on the 'Blairgowrie' landing at Lyttleton, then to Wanganui by coastal ship and finally to Sanson by horse and cart, where Alfred joined
his brothers William and James in their contracting business.  

The first voyage made by this beautiful clipper ship, after being launched at Glasgow in 1875, was to Lyttleton where she landed 430
Government and fourteen saloon passengers. She sailed from London on March 26th and took her final departure from Start Point three days
later. Light and contrary winds prevailed until crossing the equator, and two heavy gales were encountered after passing the Cape. On
August 17th Stewart Island was in sight. Immediately after, a heavy N E gale was experienced, and then light winds right up to the Peninsula.
Notwithstanding these adverse conditions, the ship anchored off Lyttleton on the 24th August, seven days after sighting land, and
accomplished the passage in 83 days from Start Point. The Blairgowrie was a vessel of 1550 tons, commanded by Captain Darke. She was
built by Thomson of Glasgow and owned by Thomson and Gray. The vessel made one voyage only to New Zealand.

                                                                       THE PRESS -Tuesday, 24th August. 1875
                                                                        ARRIVALOF THE SHIP 'BLAIRGOWRIE

It was eleven yesterday morning when the S.S. Gazelle with the immigration and Health Officers aboard steamed from the wharf for the
Blairgowrie. On presenting alongside the Blairgowrie became evident to all that the reports regarding this fine ship had not been exaggerated.
She is a new iron ship of 1550 tow registered and was built at Glasgow by Messrs. S and S. Thompson and is, we believe, owned by Messrs
Thompson and Gray, and was chartered by Shaw, Saville and Co. for this her maiden trip. Her decks are of teak, and her fittings include all
the latest improvements; her windlass and apparatus are both patented and are similar to those on board the Ballochmyle. The condenser is
an excellent one and can easily produce 1000 gallons per diem. The saloon, though not large, is beautifully fitted and many say that a finer
ship has never visited our harbour. Captain Darke and the surgeon Superintendent Dr Husband, who is an old friend in this province, as he
occupied the same position in the Hereford last year, have gained the goodwill and confidence of all on board, and thanks to the wise
precautions taken in has been almost an unknown word on hoard. The 'tween decks are 8ft in height and all the compartments are light and
excellently ventilated calling forth the encomiums of the Health Officer; in fact we are requested to state that an immigrant ship has never
arrived in our port in a healthier or cleaner condition.

The first part of the vessel that we visited was the single woman's compartment, this was well lighted and excessively clean and the matron
Mrs. Vale and the sub-Matron Mrs. Tredrea spoke highly of the general behaviour of the girls who are nearly all domestic servants and well
suited to the requirements of the province. They seemed well contented with the attention they had received during the passage. Sewing had
been encouraged during the voyage and the articles made were distributed to the girls during our stay on board. Mrs. Dryhurst had originally
been engaged as Matron but was too sick to act and Mrs. Vale was therefore appointed to fill her place. The married people were also very
comfortably lodged and their berths were a credit to them both for neatness and cleanliness; there 'were 66 families in this part of the ship
and one death occurred during the voyage, that of a little boy 18 months old from general debility. There were two births and both the young
Blairgowrie and their mothers looked well and strong. Most of the families came from the West of ENG and are principally agricultural
labourers and their children but them are representatives also of Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

The single young men are a fine able-bodied set of young fellows but their conduct did not please in as much as they seemed to have been
rather inclined to be discontented and refused on several occasions to carry out the necessary sanitary arrangements insisted on by the
Doctor. Never the less this part of the vessel was in far better orderliness in the generality of vessels. There were 125 in this division of the
ship and they are also principally agricultural labourers. Taken altogether the ship is a credit to alt concerned and we are glad to welcome her
to our port. No doubt the 444 souls she brings will be a welcome addition to our population. A sad accident happened during the voyage. A
boy named James Hamilton, an active willing lad liked by all on board, was sent up to the main stay sail on August 1st and when up at the
royal masthead fell on the deck. A belaying pin penetrated the back of his head, his thigh was also broken and his body was otherwise
mutilated. Death must have been instantaneous.

On July 30th a man named William Sheehen fell overboard. Mr W. Boyd, the Chief Officer, threw a life buoy overboard which the man caught
and a boat was lowered and rescued him. The immigrants will be landed today.

                                                                                            'BOLTON'

Thomas
and Sarah Roil and family [including daughter Eliza Roil, who married James Hayter Jackson] emmigrated on the 'Bolton'. John
and Mary Norris
and family were also abard. The 'Bolton' was an ex Man 'O War of 540 tons and left Gravesend with 350 passengers on
29th October 1841and Isle of Wight 2nd November 1841 - arriving Nelson 15 March 1842. Though a strong ship, the notorious Bay of Biscay
proved almost too much for ship and occupants     . People fell down steps and slithered across decks. A man was washed overboard, but
fortunately was washed back with the next wave. Already cold and miserable, people were thrown out of their bunks and soaked with water.
Foresails were torn to ribbons and the ship's carpenters were frantic, hammering hatch covers, boarding up portholes and replacing broken
rails, chairs and tables "
                                                               
                           'WILL WATCH'

Mark Newth b 1802 and his cousin Robert Newth b 1811 emmigrated on the Will Watch. The wives and children followed in Feb 1842 on
the 'Lloyds' which has the worst record of any immigrant ship in NZ for deaths on the journey.
                                                               
During the 1841 period, new settlements sprang up on both islands of New Zealand. Three ships were dispatched from England to carry out a
survey for the new Nelson settlement. The barques Whitby, Will Watch and the brig Arrow left with 59 officials and labourers. The Will Watch
sailed from Gravesend under Captain WALKER on 27 April 1841 and carried 45 labourers, while the cargo hold of the Arrow was packed with
stores of all kinds for the settlers. The first two vessels sailed on the 2nd May, 1841 from Gravesend but the Arrow did not get away until the
21st. All three vessels arrived at Port Nicholson where there was some argument over the site. The expedition crossed Cook Strait to explore
the district, when it was finally agreed that the settlement would be located in the S.E. corner of Wakatu Bay. The 'Will Watch' arrived into
Nelson, Marlborough on 4 November 1841
                                                                                             
'LLOYDS'    

Ann Newth
and children and Edith Newth and children left London September 11th 1841, on the vessel 'Lloyds' of 500 tons under Captain
William Green on Sept 11th 1841 arriving in Nelson on Feb 15th 1842 Due to the high number of children's deaths on board the Lloyds was
nicknamed the Black Watch.

                                                                               
 'ATHENIC'

Francis Tostevin, at 17 years old, emmigrated from Guernsey on the 'Athenic', lalong with 655 passengers, leaving London 14th October,
1909, arriving in Wellington. His occupation was listed as 'gardener' and his name as Frank Tostevin

Athenic, TSS, 12,232 gross ton of White Star Line operated by Shaw, Savill & Albion. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1901 as a dual
purpose cargo / passenger ship for the New Zealand trade. Length 500ft x beam 63.3ft (152.4m x 19,29m), one funnel, four masts, twin screw
and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 121-1st, 17-2nd and 450-3rd class passengers.  She was equipped with refrigerated
holds for the carriage of frozen meat. Served as a WWI troop transport.  In 1928 the ship was sold to a Norwegian firm and converted into a
whaling ship and renamed Pelagos. In 1941 the ship was captured by the German raider, Pinguin, in Antarctica. The Germans converted it
into an oil tanker to refuel German U-Boats. On 24th Oct.1944 she was sunk at Kirkenes by a British sub. In 1945 the Norwegians raised and
refitted it as a passenger ship where it served until 1962 when it was scrapped.
Counter
IMMIGRANT SHIPS TO NEW ZEALAND
                                 OUR ANCESTORS IMMIGRANT SHIPS

The following immigrant shops brought Savell and Jackson ancestors to new Zealand

'ADELAIDE'                                1839            
HUNT, Charles and Naomi and family
                                             1839             LUXFORD, William & Frances and family
'ATHENIC'                                  1909            TOSTEVIN, Francis William
'CITY OF AUCKLAND'               1872            THOMPSON, James and William
BLAIRGOWRIE'                         1875            THOMPSON, Alfred,  Mary Anne, Mary Annie,
'BOLTON'                                  1841            ROIL, Thomas, Sarah and family, including ROIL, Eliza
                                                                 who married J
ames Hayter Jackson
'BOLTON'                                 1841             NORRIS, John, Mary and family
'WILL WATCH'                          1841             
NEWTH, Mark and cousin Robert
'LLOYDS'                                  1841             NEWTH, Ann, wife of Mark above and NEWTH, Edith    
                                                                       wife of Robert above and family
 
City of Auckland