A BRIEF HISTORY FROM  THE TIME OF HIS ARRIVAL IN NEW ZEALAND

James Jackson first came to New Zealand in 1829, as mate of the schooner Waterloo, which was under the command of Captain John (Jacky) Guard. The ship left Sydney in
1829 and arrived at
Te Awaiti, on the south-east New Zealand's first shore-based whaling station, situated at Tar'white [Tawhite], which was the Anglicized version for the
Maori name Te Awaiti was called by Europeans. As was the custom for so many of the early whalers, James entered into a form of marriage with a Maori woman, with whom
he is said to have had several children.

In the 1830s Guard had moved to Kakapo Bay, Port Underwood, which was closer to the annual whale migration trails through Cook Strait. At about the same time Jackson
established himself as the headsman of a whaling operation at Onapopoti, a little bay separated from the main Te Awaiti valley by a small peninsular. This bay became
known as  Jacksons Bay after him. In September 1839, when New Zealand Company officials visited the settlement on the Tory, the three Te Awaiti whaling stations were run
Richard Barrett, Joseph Toms, and James Jackson [in Jacksons Bay]. James had up to 20 assistant whalers at his factory and established a permanent home and
associated farm. A watermill, said to have been built at Jacksons Bay to grind wheat, was probably one of the first water-powered flour mills in New Zealand.

James must have experienced a life of hardship and privation arising from his hazardous occupation but also from the tribal warfare of the times. Frequently there was a
shortage of food, with the whalers at times relying on the blubber from the whales for their livelihood. It is recorded that at one time they subsisted for a month on fern root
and part of a decomposing whale.  

Jackson was a huge figure, both physically and literally. He was big – over 6 feet 3 inches in height and 19 stone in weight – and was also known as 'Fat Jackson'. However,
he was best known as Captain Jimmy Jackson. A great talker, he had strong opinions and liked to use long words, although he did not always understand their meaning.
Edward Jerningham Wakefield recalled that on his visit to Jacksons Bay in 1839, Jackson 'never ceased talking from the moment we entered his house until we returned on
board.' Said Wakefield: 'He was a great admirer of Bonaparte, whose battles adorned his walls in gaudy colors and tinseled frames, as bought from some French whale-ship.
He supported his superficial view of almost everything that could be mentioned, by quotations from the Scriptures and Guthrie's Geography, which seemed his favorite
books of reference.'

An accomplished seaman with entrepreneurial ability, in December 1839 Jackson transported whale oil to Sydney as master of the chartered brig Siren. In later days, he
owned a small schooner of 14 tons called the Nelson Packet, which he used on coastal trading trips. Jackson took cargo to and from Wellington, Foxton, Nelson and

In September 1842 James accompanied Arthur Wakefield on the Nelson Packet to the Collingwood and Takaka areas. to survey land which had purchased from local Maori.
Alfred Domett, editor of the Nelson Examiner wrote that James was 'looming large as he sate in the stern, bearing about the same proportion to his little craft as Venus does
to her shell, or Neptune to his car, in allegorical pictures…his commands are given in a man-of-war style, with a sort of dashing self-satisfied burly cheerfulness, which shows
a mastery and delight in his profession, and, above all, a pride in his craft, which is unto him as a frigate.'

He married Eliza Roil at Nelson on 19th Feb 1843. Eliza Roil was born 1826 and arrived in Nelson with her parents in the year 1842 on March 15th, aboard the ship
"BOLTON", which sailed from Gravesend for Nelson on the 29th October 1841.

Eliza Jackson, nee Roil, became as tough as any whaler's wife and could, according to the family, swear in two languages with great proficiency on the slightest provocation.
The Rt.Hon.Richard Seddon, who enjoyed Eliza's keen sense of humor, holidayed with the family on frequent occasions. Eliza was known to all as "Granny Jackson". She
died on the 3rd July 1910, aged 85 years,at the home of her daughter Annie, (Mrs W.Bragg) at the family's home at Mount Pleasant, Picton, where she resided for some
years following the death of James. She is buried at Jacksons Bay, Troy Channel

It appears that James did not live continuously at Te Awaiti, as in 1855 he operating a store at Waitohi, which he did not own, however, he had returned to Jacksons Bay on
Arapawa Island, by 1857, where he also operated a farm of 40 acres.

James, after a long and eventful life, died 2 August 1877 and was buried at Jacksons Bay

James Jackson, was he a convict?
©  Mike Carnahan 2011   All rights reserved. No part of this article may be published without express approval of the Author

By Mike Carnahan. There is no definitive answer to the question, where did James Jackson come from?
Who were his ancestors and what storey does James still have to tell us. The article "James Jackson, was
he a convict?", throws new light on to this question  

Would the Real James Jackson please stand up

By Cameron Gracey, in London, ENG. Research notes he has accumulated concerning the mysterious
origins of Jimmy JACKSON. He has endeavoured to investigate all of the family legends that have existed
about the origins of James Hayter Jackson. These are the notes resulting from his investigations.

Comment:- Excellent background on the origins of James Hayter Jackson
                                                                                     ELIZA ROIL
         [Eliza Roil Arrived in NZ on the same date and ship - "BOLTON" as another SAVELL ancestor - Harriet  NORRIS,                                 
                                                                   b 1828 m
Mark Daniel NEWTH b 24th June 1827

Born 26th May, 1826, Alton, Hampshire, England. Immigrated at Nelson 15th March, 1842 on the the ship "BOLTON", which sailed from
Gravesend for Nelson on the 29th October 1841, commanded by Captain J.P. Robinson, and George T. Morgan, surgeon, superintendent.
The "BOLTON" was 540 tons, the Roil Family were listed as follows;

Thomas Roil                  M[arried]         45   Agricultural Labr.Woodcutter.
Sarah Roil                      M[arried]        40   Wife.
Harry Roil                       S[ingle]           20   Agric.Labr.Woodcutter.
Eliza Roil                        S[ingle]           18   Sempstress.
Harriet Roil                     S[hild]             14   Sempstress.
Mary Ann Roil                 C[hild]            10
William Roil                     C[hild]              8

Thomas and Sarah Roil had another daughter born on the 28th September 1847, named Anne.

In 1849 Thomas Roil had 50 acres fenced, 40 acres cleared and in wheat, oats and barley, he owned 8 cattle, 64 sheep and one pig.
Thomas Roil died on 22nd May 1867, aged 69 years, and was buried at Collingwood, Nelson Cemetery, his wife Sarah died in Waimea East
11th July 1873, aged 73 years. From comments of people who knew her, Eliza Jackson was a talented and beauty loving woman who
managed to bring to the wilds of Jacksons Bay a little of the beauty and serenity she obviously loved. Her garden was one of the prettiest
imaginable for she had the reputation for having green fingers. Her lacework was so fine it was difficult to distinguish from machine made
She did, however become as tough as any whaler's wife and could, according to the family, swear in two languages with great proficiency on
the slightest provocation. The Rt.Hon.Richard Seddon, who enjoyed Eliza's keen sense of humor, holidayed with the family on frequent
occasions. Eliza was known to all as "Granny Jackson". She died 3rd July 1910, aged 85 years, at the family home at Mt Pleasant, Picton,
home of her daughter Annie, (Mrs W.Bragg) Eliza had lived here for some years following the death of James. She sleeps alongside her
Husband James at Jacksons Bay, Tory Channel.  

"The BOLTON, sailing to NZ in 1842 with 350 passengers, was an ex man-'o-war. Though a strong ship, the notorious Bay of Bisacy proved
almost too much for ship and occupants. People fell down steps and slithered across decks. A man was washed overboard, but fortunately
was washed back with the next wave. Already cold and miserable, people were thrown out of their bunks and soaked with water. Foresails
were torn to ribbons and the ship's carpenters were frantic, hammerings hatch covers, boarding up portholes and replacing broken rails,
chairs and tables "

Source:- "Colonial Tears and Sweat" Julia Millen,  A H & A W Reed, page 13