James Jackson, [son of James Hayter Jackson] owned the 'Swift Shure', a 35 foot whaling boat. The 'Swift Shure' captured 273 whales,
including 60
Southern Right Whales. The 'Swift Shure' was donated to the Canterbury museum, and is located by the whale
skeleton. A replica of the 'Swift Shure' has been built and was launched in February, 2011. The launch of the replica was recorded by the
Picton Seaport News

The Name 'Swift Shure', is often spelt 'Swiftsure', however James's letter dated October, 1915, clearly sets out the correct spelling
'Swiftsure II', Feb 2011
                                                                                                    THE ORIGINAL SWIFTSURE

22 February 2011

The Editor
Marlborough Express

                             The Swiftsure and the Swift Shure 1

Mr Ron Perano must be congratulated by all of Marlborough on completion of his Swift Shure 1 project. The commitment and effort for authenticity is wonderful.

As a matter of interest I enclose an article written in 1948 by Mrs. Violet Godwin (nee Jackson), the youngest daughter of James Jackson jr. I do not know where it was first
published. This article gives some further information on the Swiftsure, the whaleboat from Tory Channel that was the inspiration for Ron Perano’s project. Swiftsure  is now
in Canterbury Museum.

Also as a matter of interest, Canterbury Museum claim James Jackson sr, came to the Pacific in 1828 as mate of the ship Elizabeth and in 1829 came to New Zealand in
command of the brig “Bee” and started whaling in Tory Channel (1) The most likely link is to a James Jackson, seaman, who arrived at Port Jackson (Sydney) on 25 January
1822 and proceeded to published numerous notices in the Sydney Gazette October 1822 and1824.

The following persons leaving the colony in the brig "Elizabeth",
Capt Grono request claims to be presented to Mr Levy 72 George Street Sydney   ..........  James Jackson.....

The Elizabeth then sailed for New Zealand on repeated voyages. Don Grady (2) showed that Guard took command of "Waterloo" after 31 May 1829 and the Sydney
Gazette, 2 June 1829 recorded:--

"Schooner Waterloo  70 Tons John Guard to NZ 57 bags salt 45 casks flour, 14 do pork, 23 mals sugar, 6.5 chests tea, 1 bag pepper, 2 puncheons rum, 2 cases gin, 6 baskets tobacco".

Here lies the departure of Guard to establish a shore whaling station with James Jackson aboard as 1st Mate.

James Jackson married at Nelson in 1843 and his wife Eliza had nine children including James Jackson jr, born in January 1845. James Jackson jr purchased Swiftsure for
₤40 after she had been apparently used for transporting miners to Wakamarina and for mail delivery in the Sounds. There is a historic Jackson graveyard in Jackson’s Bay
Queen Charlotte Sound.

I therefore hope that in view of the history re-enacted last Saturday and the crowd it drew, that people of Picton and Marlborough will therefore ensure the proposed whaling
museum in Picton becomes a reality; that historic whaling material is preserved; that historic graves throughout the Sounds become protected by Marlborough District
Council as historic sites; and that the new Swift shure 1 can become a prize exhibit at the new whaling museum.

Yours sincerely

Mike Carnahan
Gt-gt Grandson of James Jackson

(1)        Papers in the Canterbury Museum say he came out first to Australia
(2)        Grady Don, Guards of the Sea  Christchurch-: Whitcoulls  1978  pp 38

                                                                                                           History of the Swiftsure.

                                 This article was written by Mrs. Violet Godwin (nee Jackson), the youngest daughter of James Jackson [Junior], in 1948.

Te-Awa-iti is the over century old whaling station of Arapawa Island. Lying on the north side of Tory Channel, you pass it on your right hand side on the way to Picton. The
Jacksons, Nortons, Guards, Loves and Keenans were the great men of Te-Awa-iti with New Zealand adventure records going back to the early years of the last century.
The King of them all in that bay of old Tar-White (the universal whalemens rendering of Te-Awa-iti), with it’s beach strewn with the bones of whales, was Captain James
Jackson. Born in the year 1800 in Putney England, he came out to Australia first in the year 1828 as mate of the ship Elizabeth and then into New Zealand waters in
command of the Brig Bee. A Herculean sailor of countless adventures, such as circumnavigating the South Island in an open sealing boat, his name is preserved on the
maps - Cape Jackson and Jackson Bay. He was the father of the late James Jackson, Brooklyn Estate, Tory Channel, who was famed also for whaling activities in the days
gone by. James Jackson was born in 1845 at Jackson’s Bay, Tory Channel, and he conducted his whaling in the boat Swiftsure, now lying in state in the Canterbury
Museum. The old boat has a history going back nearly a century .

There was in the days of long ago a boat builder famed by the name of Liandet of Hobart, Tasmania. He turned out some splendid boats - two of them so well remembered
in whaling history. The Alabama was owned by Mr. Tom Jackson of early Kaikoura whaling days, and the brother of James Jackson, Tory Channel. The other boat was the
Swiftsure. These two boats were first used in 1863 - 1864 for taking gold diggers up to Wakamarina in the big rush days. The Swiftsure in her days of whaling captured
about sixty right whales and three hundred humpbacks and earned in money about £60,000. She is now stored beside the big whale skeleton ** in the Canterbury Museum
and it can be noticed that her loggerhead is very worn by the continual friction of the rope.

Some very rough times were experienced in the old Swiftsure by her crews. In 1869 Mr. Jackson spent a terrible night out in Cooks Strait. After killing a big humpback in the
Strait he had got well down near the Cape in his killing of the whale and a butt end of a Southeaster was coming up, and there was no landing place there, he decided to
keep plugging along towing the big whale behind the Swiftsure in the long heave running with a gale to come. The whale was drifted by the current close in shore and
though the sea was getting very rough the sleek of the whale made the sea near the boat fairly smooth. It oiled the water with the oil from the lance wounds in the whale. It
was a moonlight night and the scud was flying across the moon at a terrible rate. The current as it happened was taking the whale and the Swiftsure between Geordies
Rock and the land to the South of the entrance to Tory Channel. The big comers on astern and breaking on the reef - the wind was at gale force - but they got to a place
where they could land.  The whale came ashore and was anchored until next day. As the Swiftsure was beached each man was told to jump and take his oar with him. The
oars were then used as skids to haul the Swiftsure to safety. It was an awful night for the boats crew - it blew and rained like “hell let loose” and the crew were shivering with
cold in their wet clothes. In the morning they climbed the precipitous cliff above them and got to Tory Channel where they secured an anchor and carried it back to the spot
and made the whale secure. It was found impossible to get the whale off the rocks where it had been washed with the seas so it had to be cut up and tried out where it laid.
That oil was well earned.

In the bow of the old Swiftsure embedded in the wood are two or more Taniwha shark’s teeth. A humpback whale had been killed in Tory Channel, off Te-Awa-iti and the
flukes cut off. The blood evidently attracted the Taniwha shark. An iron was hoved into him and the shark quickly turned and caught the boat forward, turning on his back
and opening his mouth. At the bite he was fully four feet across. He caught the bow of the boat between his teeth and shook it. A crunching sound was heard by the crew
who thought they were in for trouble, but it was his teeth breaking that they heard. He had bitten into the Swiftsure’s timbers so deeply that he left some of his teeth in them.
He measured twenty four when killed. His teeth were filed down in the bow of the Swiftsure and are there today.The harpooner of whales had to be a skillful man at his job
and it took many a kill to develop the skill men like James Jackson and James Norton displayed in this wonderful big game slaying.

To see the Swiftsure going into action, chasing and fast to a whale was a sight well remembered by those fortunate enough to see her. Mr. Jackson at the steeroar - one of
his sons usually at the bow as harpooner - the crew in their different coloured shirts, mostly white, seemed to be worn by the whaling crews in those days which showed up
in contrast to the vivid blue colour of the Swiftsure. The Headman (Mr. Jackson) urging his crew with encouraging words of  “swig boys, swig, up with her lads”. Ahead would
be spouting a huge right whale throwing up the Prince of Wales feather spout. As the boat neared the whale within striking distance with the iron, the harpooner would be
standing with iron poised ready to plunge it into the most vulnerable spot showing of the whale. With a mighty heave, the iron would be plunged deep into the whale. Oars
would be peaked and the rope in the tub which was attached to the iron paired out through the chocs. The whale, as soon as it felt the impact and the pain of the iron in it’s
body would dive quickly under water and away at a terrific rate of speed. The Swiftsure would be literally flying through the water with the speed the whale was towing her.
When enough rope had been run out to lessen undue strain upon the fastened iron, the crew would start hauling on the rope as the whale came up to breath. The boat
would then be near enough for Mr. Jackson, who had quickly gone to the bow after the fastening of the iron to the whale, and the harpooner to the stern to take command
of the steeroar, to get a lance into the whale. The lance of course, was not toggled and is thrown into the whale at a vital spot, mostly, if possible, under the fin near the
heart and lungs. It is then hauled out again for the next throw. The Lanceman has to be of great skill as it is on him that depends the capture and kill of the whale. Very soon
after a good lance or two a thin streak of blood would begin to show in the whale’s spout, and as the lancing progress continued, it would be thrown up as thick as coal tar,
which showed that each lance thrown was finding its right mark.

The Swiftsure was a grand boat to work fast to a whale, being very light on the water in movement and very easily manoevered. Continually at the kill could be heard, by
those near enough to hear, Mr. Jackson calling “Lay on!” or “Lay off!” according to what position he wanted the boat in.

If the whale being killed was a bull whale, it’s roars in it’s death agonies was terrific. At the conclusion of the kill the crew gave one mighty cheer, the whale then being made
fast to the Swiftsure and towed to the Te-Awa-iti whaling works where it was cut up and the blubber, or fat, was tried out in large iron pots especially made for the work.

Excitement ran high at the whaling station after the kill of a large right whale - the bone in those days being of great value - and many a hug and kiss did the bow of the
Swiftsure get for her share of the kill by the women folk of the crew. At last the day came when the good old boat was shelved for the more modern method of whaling by
launch. Mr. Jackson then decided to present her to the Canterbury Museum Authorities, who were desirous of having her in their care.

One morning there arrived in Jackson’s Bay a small steamer to collect the Swiftsure. She was got ready on the skids and Mr. Jackson, then an aged man, walked with
faltering steps towards the old boat to say his farewell to the succour of his family of early days. He placed his arms across her bow and laid his head upon them. There was
just the Heaving of his great shoulders and as he raised his head, tears could be seen in his eyes, and so he parted with the “pride of his youth, the joy of his life”. He never
saw her again as his health failed him and he was unable to make the journey to Christchurch to see her there.
Reference Number: 1/2-027003 at National Library of New Zealand.
Swiftsure. Photograph taken P H Feeny of Picton