The following are known instances of people in the family who have been associated with shipwrecks.

THOMAS MANUAL RAMSDEN, was Master of the small coastal schooner  ”Lioness”, which was instrumental in rescuing survivors  of  the "Birkenhead" wreck on
Danger Point,  South Africa,  on 25 Feb 1852. He was accompanied by his Wife [name unknown] and his daughter

Master of the schooner “Kaiuma” and his son, FRANK MAULE drowned when the “Kaiuma “ foundered off Raglan, New Zealand

FRANK ALLEN RENAUT was a survivor when the “Elingamite” sank off the Three Kings Islands, New Zealand. He later drowned when the SS” Nemesis” stranded off
Cronulla, New South Wales, Australia

MARCUS TOSTEVIN, aka MARK HART emigrated to Australia on the SS “Warratah”, which later disappeared off east coast of South Africa


Christiana Ramsden born 17 Jan 1844 on board a ship at Cape of Good Hope, Africa, daughter of Thomas RAMSDEN, Master Mariner. He was the Master and owner of the
small coastal schooner, 'Lioness" making hger way from Algoa Bay to Cape of Good Hope, when he picked up soldiers/surviviors from the the sinking of the "Birkenhead", off
Danger Point, South Africa on 25th Feb 1852

. A book "The Unfortunate ship" by S J Lennox Kerr is about the controversial iron ship "Birkenhead" and its stranding on a rock.

Page  146 "The women an children were helped aboard the "Lioness"and taken to the saloon where Mrs Ramsden, the wife of the schooner's owner and captain, emptied her
wardrobe to clad the scantily clad survivors, cutting up even her best silk gowns and leaving herself only with the clothes she was wearing"
Page 177  "Commodore Wyvill did not help the Navy's reputation by his treatment of Captain Ramsden  of the schooner "Lioness"  When Ramsden asked that damage done to
his vessel while cutters were alongside and were being lifted on board be made good and described to Wyvill what his Wife, his men and he had done and what they had given
to the survivors, the Navy Officer retorted  "Well, sir, has all this been done in expectation of remuneration? "Ramsden replied that he hoped not, but his men were poor and
had given all they possessed. No payment or replacements of clothing were given to these men and. to replace the food which Ramsden had used in feeding 116 people for two
days, he was granted part of a cask of salt beef and the same quantity of salt pork and three bags of ships biscuits.

Another book "A Deathless Story" also contains mention of the Ramsden Family.

Daughter Christiana (then 8 years old) was told to stay down below deck when sailors/soldiers were rescued and stripped of their wet clothing Christiana disobeyed and went up
on deck, being punished by  receiving a spanking with a silver hairbrush. A story which was told many times by Christiana to her children and grandchildren.

The great naval tradition of
“women and children first” was established with the wreck of the "Birkenhead"

Full details of the wreck of the "Birkenhead" are available on
"The Wreck of the Birkenhead"
THOMAS HEMY (1852-1937)



Francis Maule was born 1834 in Clackmannan, Scotland. In 1862 in Lyttleton, New Zealand, he married Mary Grubb, born 1843 in Ferry-Port-on-Craig, Fife, Scotland. Their
son, Frank Maule was born 1863 in Lyttleton, New Zealand.

The"Kaiuma" was built in 1866 of 39 tons was built at Kaiuma Bay,  Marlborough in 1866

On  3rd August, 1878, the Taranaki Herald newspaper reported that the coastal schooner "Kaiuma" of 39 tons had arrived at Waitara, Taranaki, New Zealand, from Greymouth,
New Zealand with a cargo of 59 tons of coal. The "Kaiuma" then departed Waitara for Onehunga on the Manukau Harbour with a load of sheep. She dissapeared 15th August,
1878, near Woody Head, Raglan, with the loss of all 7 persons board,including the Master, Francis Maule and his 8 year old son Frank Maule

Otago Witness 14 September 1878 page 13, Waitara, September 11

Captain McKenzie of the "Hannah Mokau" just arrived from Raglan, reports a quantity of wreckage along the beach off that place. Several kegs of butter have come ashore,
also 63 dead sheep, which have been skinned by the Natives; part of a vessel's deck, sails, spars, &c., and a headboard marked "Kaiuma" leaving no doubt as to the result
which has befallen that schooner. She must have gone ashore on Monday Head during the gale on the 5th ult., and that all hands perished.

Timaru Herald Friday 13th  September 1878 page 2
The Missing Schooner Kaiuma
New Plymouth, Sep. 12

The Kaiuma is lost. There were seven persons on board when she was at Waitara - viz, Captain Maule, his son [Frank Maule], Frank Seipman, better known as the professor,
now of the Northern Advocate; Mitchell was a boy going to see his friends at Kaipara; Sorensen was a son of a German living here. Captain Maule has two sons, both little
children. His life was insured, but he was not married to the woman he was living with, and she and her children are left destitute. He is said to be a relative of Captain Grubb,
late of the Merlin, schooner, which was wrecked some time ago.  

The Timaru Herald reference above to "the woman he was living with" is Ellen O'Halloran, b about 1852 in County Limerick, Ireland. Research indicates that she had 2 children
by Francis Maule, James born 1873 and John b 1875.
Ellen O'Halloran subsequently married Charles Lucas on 5th November, 1878. The further reference to "Captain
Grubb" would likely point to his 1862 marriage to Mary Grubb, who was the mother of Frank Maule who died on the "Kaiuma"   


Frank Renaut, born 13 Jun 1877, Leytonstone, Essex, England. He was a survivor when the “Elingamite” sank off the King Island, New Zealand. He later drowned when the
SS” Nemesis” stranded off Cronulla, New South Wales, Australia.

Frank started his sea training in 1889 at the age of 12 years. In 1896 he gained his Second Officers Ticket and his first Officer's Ticket in 189. In 1900 at the age of 23, he
achieved his Master Mariner's qualification. On 1st November, 1902, he arrived in Sydney, New South Wales, 2nd mate of SS "Elingamite", 1,675 Gross tons, owned by
Huddart, Parker & Co, from Auckland, under Master Mariner E. B. Atwood. Crew 59+?F, Passengers 40. He then left Sydney on the SS "Elingamite's" last voyage to
Auckland New Zealand, with the ship sinking after running aground on King Island, North Cape, New Zealand.

[The Sydney Morning Herald,  Wednesday 13 July 1904]

The chief officer of the Nemesis, Mr. F. Renaut, occupied the position of second officer of the Elingamite at the time she was totally lost off the Three Kings Islands to the
north- west of the North Island of New Zealand on November 9, 1902. On that memorable occasion he narrowly escaped with his life, and performed many acts of heroism.
His employers, Huddart, Parker, and Company Proprietary, Limited, recognizing his efforts, promoted him to the position of first mate of the Nemesis.

Prior to joining the Elingamite Mr. Renaut was attached to the Barwon. He was extremely popular with the officers of the other vessels of the fleet, and his sad end is
regretted by a very wide circle of friends. His brother, Mr. C. Renaut, is in the employ of the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand, and occupies the position of chief
officer of the Waikare. The missing officer is 30 years of age, is a married man, and resides at Coogee.

Mr. Renaut, in describing his experiences on the occasion of the wreck of the Elingamite at the end of 1902, made the following statement to the New Zealand
representative of the "Sydney Morning Herald":—"The Elingamite struck the Three Kings about a quarter to 11 a.m. on Sunday. The weather was very thick for the
previous 36 hours and very thick at the time of striking. We were going dead slow—about 4½ knots—for about three- quarters of an hour before striking. No breakers were
seen at all, and the first intimation that anything was wrong was when we saw the cliffs towering above us. The engines were immediately put full speed astern, but without
avail. When she struck there was no scene of panic, the passengers behaving splendidly. All the boats and rafts were immediately launched. The women and children were
the first care, after which the male passengers and crew were attended to.
"Our boat was the last that left the scene of the wreck. All the boats got completely separated in the fog. One boat was sighted just before dark about three miles to the
southward, but before we could make anything of her the fog closed down, and we lost sight of her. There was a moderate sea running when we left the wreck. One boat
capsized, but I believe all the occupants were saved by our boat. No officer was in charge of this boat until I was picked up, the captain, officers, and engineers staying on
board until the boats were launched.
"Then, as the ship was settling down, we were washed off, and were picked up by the boats that were standing by. One lady passenger was picked up dead. After I was
picked up we stood by and picked up all persons we could find floating about, including the chief officer. When we could find no more we pulled clear of the wreckage, and
then set sail, steering to the eastward to pick up the North Cape. The weather still being very thick, throughout the night, we thought it advisable to stand on, as we were till
day- light, when we altered our course to the southward.
"We had 37 passengers and 13 of the crew, with Mrs. Sully's dead body. At half-past 6 on Monday morning the weather gradually cleared, and we sighted the mainland at
8 o'clock, and steered for it, beaching our boat at half-past 12. Shortly after landing the Maoris found us and took us to their settlement, and treated us with the greatest
kindness and hospitality, bringing not only food, but clothes, so far as they were able. We stayed there all night, and they brought us over to Houhora, where we were
treated with the greatest kindness by all the settlers. I am thankful to say all are now in good health, and there is no serious sickness from exposure."


The S S “Nemesis” was owned by Huddart, Parker & Co, who also owned the SS “Elingamite”. Launched 30th December, 1880 and completed same month by Thomas
Turnbull & Son Whitby, England. 1,393 gross tons, 886 net. Lbd: 240'2” & 34' x 17'”. She was an Iron screw steamship. On 09 July 1904, Nemesis was on voyage from
Newcastle to Melbourne with a cargo of coal & coke and a crew of 32, when she was lost in a storm off Port Hacking, New South Wales, Australia. All 32 crew aboard died.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wednesday 13th July 1904

The fate of the vessel is enshrouded in mystery, but all the evidence which has been gathered indicates that the Nemesis met her doom at a late hour on Saturday night
when off Port Hacking. She sailed from Newcastle with a cargo of coal and coke for Melbourne on Friday last, and passed Nobbys at 1 p.m. Meeting the southerly gale and
mountainous seas, her progress was retarded, and throughout the fearful night of Friday last she bravely battled with the elements. The Nemesis continued on her course,
but made very little headway, for at 2 o'clock on Saturday afternoon she was off Wollongong, 25 hours having been occupied in covering a distance of a little over 100

Apparently the Nemesis was quite safe on Saturday afternoon, for the Adelaide Company's steamer Marloo passed her off Wollongong, and she was then making good
weather of it. The Nemesis made no signals, and did not appear to have suffered any damage. The Marloo overtook the ill-fated steamer, and continued her voyage to
Melbourne, which port she reached yesterday. During Saturday afternoon and evening the gale increased in fury until it attained the force of a severe hurricane. Vessels
of greater tonnage and of a much more modern type were navigated with the utmost difficulty, and the Nemesis throughout that afternoon was in a position of great peril.
What course Captain Lusher proposed to take to ensure the safety of his vessel will probably never be known, but it would appear that the Nemesis either turned back to
run for a haven of safety, or was driven backwards by the extraordinary force of the winds.

All that is known is that on Saturday night a vessel in distress was off Port Hacking, and that this vessel was the Nemesis is beyond doubt. At frequent intervals rockets
were fired as a signal to those on shore that assistance was urgently required, but in such a seaway nothing could be done. It is a fore- gone conclusion that at this time
the ill-fated vessel was nearing her end, for before mid- night the signals ceased. What happened to the Nemesis can only be conjectured.


Mark was born 16 Oct 1889, Guernsey, Channel Islands and emigrated to Australia, arriving 25th December, 1908 in the ill fated Steamship "Warratah". He arrived in Sydney,
New South Wales, when the City was all-agog with excitement over the Tommy Burns - Jack Johnson world championship boxing match the following day. The voyage, which
commenced on 5 November 1908, was the the Warratah began her maiden voyage from London, England, with 689 passengers in third class accommodation and 67 first class
passengers. Seven months later, on 28th July 1909 when on a voyage from Durban to Capetown she foundered off the South African Coast in a severe storm

The SS "Warratah" was a British Ocean Liner of 9,339grt owned by Blue Anchor Line, was a 500 foot (150m) long steamship that operated between Europe and Australia in
the early 1900s. In July 1909, the ship, en route from Durban to Cape Town, disappeared with 211 passengers and crew aboard. Some people say the disappearance of the
ship remains one of the most baffling nautical mysteries of all time. To this day no trace of the ship has ever been found.

The most popular theory advanced to explain the disappearance of the Warratah is an encounter with a
'freak wave', also known as a rogue wave, in the ocean off the South
African coast.[19] Such waves are known to be common in that area of the ocean. It is most likely that the Warratah, with what seems to be marginal stability and already
ploughing through a severe storm, was hit by a giant wave. This either rolled the ship over outright or stove-in her cargo hatches, filling the holds with water and pulling the ship
down almost instantly. If the ship capsized or rolled over completely, any buoyant debris would be trapped under the wreck, explaining the lack of any bodies or wreckage in the